Saturday, October 3, 2009

A visit to Rivne and a lesson on radioactivity

I have gotten into the habit of checking e-mails before writing in here, and the truth be told, after reading messages, I usually have to stop using the computer before I get a chance to write in my blog. This time I'll do this before anything else to keep the eager beaver parents in the loop.

This week in general was pretty awesome, and so far the weekend has been full and exciting as well.

Thursday we got a dose of radioactivity. We visited the Nittisien powerplant during our first EAD ( Educational Activity Day). Once a week a pair from our group organizes an educational day on anything of their choosing which is pertenant to eco-leadership, sustainability, Ukraine, and Canada. You and your partner hold one of these days in both phases of the program. Out first EAD was on nuclear power and presented by our two project supervisors - they are also lucky enough to get a turn in the spotlight.

I know "getting a dose of radioactivity" shouldn't be something to joke about as Fran Nano told me many times leading up to this trip, but after the knowledge we received (on top of some Chemistry 1000 lessons last year on the subject) I felt perfectly safe during our tour. Here's how the day went:

1. Check-in - literally a form of group therapy given a different name, where each individual shares how they are feeling.
2. Energizer
3. Language lesson - a combination of French and Ukrainian on words and phrases to do with the subject. Do-bry!
4. A crazy movie on Chenobyl - really informative and I learned a lot about the time and the power system.
5. Visit to powerplant. We were all a little spooked...except for Marty who wanted to visit Chernobyl. Literally, I felt pretty safe from the chemicals. I was more worried about the security guards who followed us at all times, looking for people from our group who may stray from the tour and set off a bomb or something. They warned us before we started that are rights were restricted while in the facilities! I wanted to jokingly yell, "camoflage" which is a hiding game our group plays whenever someone yells that magic word. However, I didn't thing the big burly security guards would find it as funny.
6. A video on Canada's Uranium and Vd ( vadium? ) industry. Did you know that Canada is the leader in Uranium mining?
7. Disussion

After Thursday's work day we went to a stadium to hold our first ultimate training for our first CAD ( Community activity day ) - an Ultimate Tournament. It's clear that Ukrainians would rather play soccer than ultimate, because we only had a 1/2 dozen people show. John, Marty, Nat, Becca, Tolik, Ivan, Becca, Sarah, Sam, and I practiced our throws instead, which was a good idea.

Wow! An aside: I just tried these strudel thingsthat Svitlana made and they are absolutely amazing!

Friday was a work day, but more so a day to appreciate Ostroh, since the town council met with Inna and I for 30 minutes! I keep taking second glances at this place. To see the differences in dress, food, history, language and tradition makes Ukraine seem so different from home. But then, the values, and day to day lifestyles are quite similar. I also don't know how to 'place the season.' I feel like from growing up on the west coast that the full season of fall is totally foreign in itself. Apart from my experience in Ottawa, the dry cool weather and changing colours are new. Victoria does have fall, but I just can't remember it being so enhanced.

Saturday our camping trip was canceled and we went to Rivne for the day. The day went fast, as most days go with our group. We visited Rivne's one skating rink that was the size of a pond with a mini zambonie and spent the afternoon at Rivne's giant market. I couldn't skate because my left ankle still features a growth the size of an orange. In the meantime, Svitlana and I went on a hunt for peanut butter - it's just non-existent here! Then John and I searched again with no luck. The items there are so different - the styles make me laugh sometime. All in all though, the canadians tend to stand out just by their clothing - running shoes, jeans, t-shirts and sweatshirts compared to high heels or pointed dress shoes, designer looking jeans, and fancy shirts!

Overall, our team is becoming an connected organism! I can feel a switch from feeling somewhat alone in a new environment to feeling fully supported by the inidviduals around me. So much so that some of the Canadians and I may start writing combined blog entries sometimes. The canadians' parents, especially the boy's, found this blog, searching for information! That's great to hear! Hi Marty's mom!

Now I must go back and help svitlana with some baking. Sshe wants me to decided what to cook next for carbs for tomorrow. She literally can't accept that I just want bread, finding it extremely odd that I don't really like potatoes or pasta, or rice. The funny thing is, wait til she sees how many more weird eating habits I have!

Just a heads up, I'll probably be on skype most evenings at 10:00pm Victoria time, so if you want to chat, try then!

love,

ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment