Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The mountains move people

Well hello!

This is going to be one of those quick blog posts so my folks know I'm still alive. For the first time in this program, I feel truly busy and I havn't had a good chunk of time to write in my blog. But now, I'll share some highlights of the last week.

We went to the Carpathian mountains! This was the most spectacular part of Ukraine I've seen so far. Rolling mountains like those found in Quebec with the best fall colours I've ever seen! We left early Saturday morning and drove for over six hours south. Everyone was awake by the time the ground started to rise up and down - I started to feel like I'd found home. And let me tell you, Nat and I chatted the whole way from that point on about how unbelievable a bike trip could potentially be through this area - perfect for touring!

On Saturday after our arrival we hiked to a waterfall. Our whole group had agreed earlier to be 'mountain folk' and all hiking adventures were mandatory. This was pretty sweet. At times I missed the solitude of being silent with a couple of . But for the most part I was proud of how everyone approached this hike and the others - I loved seeing the Ukrainians get dirty!

To the waterfall we followed the river and I Becca and John would have done anything to jump in at our lunch spot. After that we al packed into the bus with our 'one of a kind' tour guide/bus driver and headed to Bucklovel - the Westernized ski resort. It was cool to see the differences between this place and home, but one message was clear, this used to be a little family run resort that had been corporatized. We took the ski lift to the top as planned as dusk took over the sky - beautiful views. Then it was on to our family run B&B type lodging to settle in and start some team building activities.

I have to run to a skype date with Jenn.. I promise this story will continues!

Love,

Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment