Friday, October 9, 2009

Another hole

Greetings!

Svitlana and I are about to head to the market in search of a couple items, so I will make this short, but I have quite a story.

Yesterday was Nat's birthday and what a day! Thirty degree weather, sun shinning and a great and shorter than usual EAD by Lucretia and Kate. I took off the ankle bandage for the first day and spent my lunch break walking with Ilsa and basking in the sun with a pretty interesting book, Molecules of Emotion by Candance Pert.

When the day ended I got had an hour to read more perched on top of this old castle at the high point in Ostroh, eating walnuts. At 5:30 pm, after a variety of the famous 8 minute work-outs, I went to a last ultimate training. This time we had quite a showing. Everyone is getting a lot better at the game and our scrimage - Naramata skyle, 'last point ties' - was really great. Finishing at Sun set, the boys ( Marty, John, Nat ), Becca and I went down to the market. Marty and I picked out a fat watermelon from a Chinese Ukrainian, and we ate it at our spot outside the post office while nat made a couple birthday calls. Five Canadians, sitting on the ground, cutting up watermelon with a pocket knife, and laughing. That was the scene.

Nat's choice to for the night was to go to this disco place called "the Brama'. Before that we all dressed up ( our whole group ) and met at the Pizzaria. Around 11:00pm made our way down to the Brama.

Now is where this get's interesting. If I havn't already told you, the ground/pavement in Ostroh is very irregular - full of pot holes. When we go places with the Ukrainians they take a bajillion shorts cuts. As I wrote about earlier, on one of those short cuts at night earlier I fell in a hole with Becca. Well, it happened again! This time the whole was so large, if I had jump in it I would have gone down a long ways. Luckily, going in left foot forward, I came in on an angle and was stopped by my left thigh. Unlukily, I was stopped by my left thigh.... and punctured my skin with quite a large scratch about as long as my pinky to my thumb. I just lay there on the ground, in shock from what had just happened, and evern in more schock that it could happen moe than once. Svitlana took me home, and cleaned it up. I went to bed, frustrated with myself and my luck that stopped Svitlana from a night out.

It's funny how I've become the person who has begun to be known for hurtin themselves. A part from occasional faints, I havn't hurt myself/ been left with a physcial injury for many years. In Ukraine, it seems to happen weekly. Two ankles, two holes, what's next?

I am pretty happy that I didn't hurt my ankle again though - that means I'll be able to play ultimate on Sunday. Svitlana and I are going to search for some Vitamin E ointment and hopefully this leg wound will be gone in a week without scarring.

On a different note. I'm really looking forward to this weekend. Monday is Thanksgiving and the Canadians are making a giant feast. Mom, I need your apple and pumpkin pie recipes!

Saturday is our prep day. Sunday is our Ultimate tournament in the morning followed by cooking in the afternoon. Moday we spend the whole day preparing our grande meal. Marty and Nat are going hunting for a turkey! Sam and John are peeling a lot of potatoes. Sarah is doing everything and helping me make pies. Lucretia is making something great with turnips. Ilsa is making a vat full of rice! And Becca will probably do a bit of everything but is in charge of rice duty!

That's the plan stan. I'd also love to hit up that lake again and bring some more folks with us this time. It's going to be a great weekend.

Love,
ellen

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ellen,

    Your mom and I are at Alice's home, and I'm using her computer. Don't know if it will work, but will give it a try.

    Loved the last note - and Ellen (and this is your father speaking) BE CAREFUL! No more crashes down deep holes in the dark, or getting sprains or letting those Ukrainian guys get too friendly. I want you home in one piece and ready to enjoy us as you normally do.

    We're off to Centralia later this morning (taking Alice with us, which means we will come back this way and re-trace our steps to Victoria).

    Cloudy here, but likely will clear.

    Again, hope this makes it to you.

    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ellen,
    I write this message after a year and a half from all these events happening. I remember this day very much and this post of yours reminded me once more that CWY wasn't a long lasting dream, but happened to all of us in reality. Thanks for being a part of my life, such a great and important one that I'll never be able to forget.
    With love,
    Katia

    ReplyDelete