Friday, November 6, 2009

Checking in

I am sitting at home. I have just come back from an epic run in the country and taken a shower. I am feeling warm, energized, and very relaxed. A perfect time to write with a cup of tea.

I don’t even remember the last time I wrote. I’m not sure if I finished talking about the Carpathian Trip or what I have or have not said about our quarantine. So with that absence, let me tell you about this last week in Ostroh.

Monday was a day of rebellious ‘maskless’ chess playing and card games at the tea shop. Monday was a really odd day. It takes a little time to adjust to a deserted city speckled with the few adventures who dare to go outside, wearing masks. Then there are the Canadians who cannot help but venture into the cold, totally puzzled by the aspect of being required to stay in doors. The evening was spent at home with Svitlana, where we took it like a day off and watched episodes of an overly dramatic tv series.

Tuesday involved plenty more games of chess and lots of tea, rotating between Becca and my houses. We walked a lot too. During this quarantine I’ve found it interesting to see how our group splits up. Who we spend the most time with when it’s our choice and how we spend it.

Wednesday I woke up to Ostroh’s first snow storm. Not very much snow but dry and beautiful! I spent the afternoon at Sarah and Ilona’s house playing games with the hosts, Becca, and John. That evening John, Becca, and I played in the snow, and I came home soaking wet late with a ton of energy and feeling totally healthy.

Thursday, after talking to some amazing folks at the post office, Becca and I meandered our way to the tea shop and to John’s. The three of us explored in the rain before heading back to my apartment. Svitlana was there, baking up a storm, and informed us on the plans to have a bunch of folks over for dinner. Svitlana and I spent the rest of the evening getting this giant meal together – more like I helped with loose ends since Svitlana had already done just about everything. Svitlana is the most intense hostest. We’ve had people over a couple times and she just makes so much amazing food. It’s a shock after never prepping for people to come over. Instead, my invitation means that if we want food we’ll make it together and if not, we won’t have anything special. Anyways, the night was a good way to spend the quarantine. Marty and John orchestrated a poker game, and those who didn’t play poker played this crazy Ukrainian card game called Fool.

Today has been a great day. I did an old Biology test and decided I needed to steal some of Geoff’s homework. Then Becca and I decided to go running. She’s a hockey player and likes to be fit too – neither of us are though, so we did wind sprints, and went a long ways, and went swimming, and just wore ourselves out. I love running in the country around Ostroh because you easily step out of the life within the city – almost a step away from the minute routines we have.

Now I’m off to the post office to feed my internet addiction and download some more mock-exams/ send this letter. Tonight we’ll meet as a group and use our official 4 hours a day of outside time.

Lots of love and hope everyone is well,

Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment