Sunday, November 8, 2009

Another morning blog entry

I think I’m starting to fit in. This morning I was asked for directions once, and asked how to get a hold of the women in the post office. Both times I was rather shocked that these people would talk to ME in Ukrainian! Both time I answered something along the lines of “I’m from Canada” – but I can ask in two different ways.

The sites have also become normal. I can wak through crazy old cemeteries or into stores filled with foreign goods and not just gawk – more of an appreciation. It’s not weird to have giant castles outside my window!

Yesterday I went to a Catholic church, and I sure wished I could have had my camera! Picture a half filled sanctuary with little grannies in head scarves singing old church songs in Ukrainians and polish. The old dome shaped temple makes for an eerie echo coming at you from all angles, voices singing with their breathe flowing out in a staggered stream of steam. Ten minutes late, the pope finally appears. We have watched his solemn helpers put the hymn numbers on the wall and light candles. The pope speaks and sings his way through the opening prayer, glimpsing up in our direction whenever he has a chance. Ilsa, Yulia, Dominic and I sit together. Ilsa has black skin and I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the first time this man has seen a women of different skin colour. The pope conducts his sermen in Polish. Dominic can only understand. We sit their in this freezing cold room, standing and sitting as signaled by the others in the room. I’m totally encapsulated by the scenery. A giant pulpet with a back drop of sculpted angels and prophets. On the top of the arched dome are words inscripted in Ukrainian. Circling the pews, hanging from the ceiling, is a sewn streamer of leaves. Grannies sit hunched over, singing off tune to the organ in the open room above. We decided to leave earlier, tired of sitting in silence without a clue of what is going on. We leave the sanctuary to burst of warm rainy air – I’ve never been in a church so cold. I’ve never been in a church like that.

I have to go now.

Love,

ellen

1 comment:

  1. Was the pope actually at your church? I'd have thought the room would have been more than half filled...? Nicely written up though.

    ReplyDelete