Monday, September 21, 2009

"Hi!"..."who areyou?"..."your volunteers!"..."our what?What are you going to do?"

So that's how our first day at town council has gone. It's now 10:50 am and I'm sitting in the internet cafe, about to return to council. Inna and I don't really know what to expect.

Here's the story:

After dressing in fancy pants and a new shirt I went to put on the only black pair of heels I own, and was surprised to feel and squishy feeling on my toes. I looked inside, and it was full of soap. I realised this must of been a place I hadn't noticed was subject to the multiple soap explosionsin my backpack during travel ( you would think after the first time, I would have thrown it out...but who expects those things to happen twice! )

Frantically, I worked to clean it out. still, after a walk down to meet my work partner, Inna, I had one foot heel and one foot carwash! That was interesting experience one.

The second, I couldn't understand as Inna and who I expected to be our supervisor rattled on in Ukrainian while I smiled. I could tell by Inna's face that something was off, and when she eventually translated for me, I discovered that this women had no clue who we were. She was asking Inna what we were going to do as volunteers, and after a while, told usto come back in an hour. Now it's almost time to return.

It's a beautiful day out and I kind of hope we do get sent home so I can put on my runners and explore the country side.

What a comical morning. But I guess you could call this a typical first day-something always goes wrong. Murphy's law.

love,
ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment