Wednesday, September 16, 2009

fell in a hole, got lost with a watermelon and sprained my ankle...a great day!

Man I am enjoying this place.  Today we had a day off.  My counterpart, Svitlana, had to take a 5 hour train into Kiev ( 300-400 km away - it took us 9 hours by bus!), so I spent the day with others from the program.

it was time to explore the area! Becca, Katr, and I went in search of a bank, and once we had money, becca and I basically wanted to stop at every ukrainian shop and just stare.  Everything is different: brands, clothes, drinks, social norms, the layout of the city.  And watermelons are 50 cents! Exploring, we ventured to areas that Katr hadn't even seen and ended up getting lost, with a watermelon in tow. We did find our way back and found the others for a basketball game.  I hadn't played in so long and I'd forgotten how fun it can be! No one knew how to play except me, but that didn't matter and we just all played hard - I managed to sprain my ankle, but after watching Mr.T elevate many ankles, I think I've treated it well. Went back 'home' and had a shower and some dinner.  Later tonight, a bunch of us are meeting up to hang out and watch a soccer game! Can't wait to see them all again.  We are all really forming a strong comunity and once again, the joy of working  and living with others is giving me so much drive.  Many thinkgs about this experience here so far remind me of Naramata.

For all of those interested in calling me, here’s my host family's number:

0 ( or 00…check with operator ) – 38 (country number) – 03654 (area number) – 23896 ( house number)

For a cheap rate, I would suggest buying a phone card online at the ‘phone card website’, making sure that it will call to Ostroh Ukraine.

The time change in Ostroh is 10 hours ahead, which means don’t call past 12:00 pm! Haha…or before midnight!
Remember father…you won’t just be waking up me, you’ll be waking up their whole family!
 
As for skype….it may be a little random when I’m available. It’ll usually be between 7:00 am and 12:00 pm. There’s an internet café that’s pretty close which I can use.


Now for the whole story....there's a moaut around the Ostroh Academy track.  We were there last night. It was pitch black and I was going to someones house from there.  I literally dissappeared in this giant hole with my friend Becca falling in right behind me.  The ukrainians and everyone else found it hallarious, and I couldn't stop laughing myself~!
Love you lots and look forward to talking soon!

Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment