Monday, January 11, 2010

Swimming inside the elephant

swimming inside the elephat you say? Well, the clouds constantly covering Port Alberni are called 'The elephant' and since there's been more rain pouring here than I think I've ever seen in my lifetime - a lot coming from a kid from Victoria - I literally feel like I'm swimming while coasting down a hill on my bicycle.

This note will be short- my hands are starting to hurt from typing out letters to prospective speakers for the Fair Trade Conference. That said, if you know of any individuals who walk and talk fair trade, please e-mail me at fairtradepa@gmail.com

Today was a busy day. The morning was spent with announcements - like usual during a CAD. Before lunch our group of fair trade conference folks booked it through the rain to a couple meetings at schools. Now we are in charge of making a 20 minute presentation to all the students at EJ Dunn Middle School! I love how opportunities unfold like that some times. The afternoon was spent with our group at one of the local native reserves - I forget the tribal name. They have a beautiful hall with a ceiling the height of the surrounding trees. A tribe leader told us about the tribe, residential schools, life of the tribe now and what we could for the community. We should be going there for activity nights twice a week now, and I'm looking forward to the stories to come.

My night was spent on the computer, writing letters to potential speakers, reminicing on amazing adventures in the wild, and admiring the crazy idea of the Buried Life - what 100 things do you want to do before you die?

lots of love. Have a great sleep!
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment