Saturday, January 9, 2010

Happy Belated Ukrainian Christmas

Well..time flies when you are having fun. I remember that moment wrote almost a month ago very well. And things sure have changed. But I fondly remember and mss the default Ukrainian website that used to pop up everytime I'd write in my blog.

I finally decided to write after many hours 'exploring' Univeresity information. I'm happy I did it - it makes me feel secure, like I'm not going to miss the strict deadlines. And luckily, I'm far from those horizons. In fact applying this year is by far the easiest of the four confused, missmashed countless hours spent on these sites. Maybe that means I'm a little more decisive on m choice. Nevertheless, its pushed me to a school 'formatted' mind for a while and I decided to give an update.

Update one: I love Port Alberni. It's inticing a long time dream to live in a small mountain town. On clear days Mount Arrowsmith beacons my full attention. It's unbelievable beauty, strength, and power holds a mystical presence over the valley. However, Port Alberni is deep ina valley, constantly socked in by te 'elephant' - a barrier of clouds that keeps the community from seeing the sun or months at a time. However, there's always a way to see the sun if you can get up high enough. I experienced this a couple weeks ago and vowed to do my best to find it ever since - John and I climbed out of the valley's giant hole to find vibrant rays, absolutely fabulous panoramic views of the surrounding peaks and the 'elephant's' backside.

I just realized that if I list 'updates' this e-mail would be longer than anyone would want to read. Not to mention, it would keep me up all night! So I'm going to roll through what's on my mind right now.

This weekend our group is at the Abbeyfield - a prime example of what a seniors home can be and one of our main meetings spaces. We are receivin a workshop on playing writing and water issues in Port Alberni. Tomorrow, I beleive we'll attempt to write a plan and begin to act it out - one which brings these issues up in a very conscious 'naramata type feel' way. The plays focus is on water issues. Today we did a whole load of trust activities designed by david.....something . I really liked them, and most of them were new. One of the women in charge was actally a teacher of Tsuki and Desta's from the Kelowna Waldawrf school. Ironically, "Edna Cox", is also one of Tolik and my supervisor types at our PA workplacement - promoting cycling with City Hall.

I really enjoy ll of the work here so far. On top of having a work placement where I have to ride on and off-road around town, go to bike shop meetings, and work to get more bike paths, racks, and maps, I"m also working on a Fair Trade Conference, plans to literally build a Recyling Depot, volunteering at a Free Store, and planning to try and get solar panels for the PA Middle school and to help Tolik with a donation thing for the hospital. I'm remembering how great it feels to be busy.

I also have an awesome host family - a British couple celebrating their first year in Canada. So I'm still the lone Canadian in my host family! I got to experience an English Christmas, and eat very English food all the time. Plus, Bob and Di can literally speak in a British slang language that I cannot even understand. All in all, we joke most than neccesary and have a great ol bloody time. They have two energetic big dogs too, which mke Reggie look like the tamest dog in the planet.

Thursday was Ukrainian Christmas and the Ukrainian made a grande feast for our group. I'm pretty sure all of us felt at home with the food, traditions, and songs - even if we couldn't understand them. It brought back many good memories. To let you in on a little Ukrainian secret, they are OBESSED with wives tales for future husbands and wives. "Eat the end of the bread and you'll have a good future husband." "It's the first night in a new place. If you dream of a boy, he's your future husband." On Christmas we added a new one to the books - " Girls, go outside in the pouring rain. Take off one shoe. On the count of three, throw your shoe into the air. Which ever direction the foot part of it lands is the direction that your future husband lives in." This just make you love Ukrainians more. Then I and a couple Canadians took off our other shoe and went running through a flooded field in bare feet and fancy clothes. This is why Ukrainians love us. Differences are great.

Di and Bob took us to Uclulet last week. It was wet and beautiful. It was extra special because it marked Svitlana's first swim in the Pacific ocean. On a burst of energy, we stripped down to bathing suites and ran in. As we stripped, a ton of people walked down to this little secluded beach in the pouring ran. They watched us run in. The dogs barked. And as we safely imergy from the wave of the sea, they all clapped. It was great. Svitlana and I both had crazy glints in our eyes. And as Svitlana jumping on the old wooden staircase back up to the trail - almost falling off in the proccess - I finally got to cal her a crazy girl . "come backing " that statement to my counterpart!

Anyways, I must head to bed now.

Have a wonderful New Year - 2010.

I'll probably write soon. My application isn't quite done yet...

Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment